Book Now

Arrival
Nights
Cancel or modify your booking

History


“is a small village of lower padano, with gates, cobbled paving on the main way, a basilica dedicated to the patron, a renaissance palace, towers, bell towers, a stronghold, old nineteenth-century houses in the centre, some palaces of the 1700's, the city structure remains intact and gathered around the circle of the old and crumbling walls.”
Pier Vittorio Tondelli (1955-1991)


Through the affectionate look that the writer makes on the places of the city, the visitor finds an emotional tour… just leaving from Corso Mazzini, the main road of the historical center, carried out on the old traces of the medieval walls and flanked by elegant gates, than we are carried towards Palazzo dell'Orologio, whose name is owed the great clock at its top and realized by the correggese Quirino Asioli in 1783. Under the portico of its namesake the palace is brought back to its antique splendours, thanks to a very recent restoration, the 1700s frescoes representing the Passion of Christ and Saint Bonifacio Fantini.


Continuing on under the protection of our portico, we arrive at the main church of Correggio: the Basilica di San Quirino dedicated to its patron Saint and constructed on the area of the old moat that encircled the city between 1516 and 1587. The Basilica, deserving of a careful visit of the interior, is facing a square of the same name where is very visible in the public square the Monumento ad Antonio Allegri, a work of the ticinese sculptor Vincenzo Vela. The image of the artist (of which the true effigy is not known) is that referred to in romantic tradition.


A few steps away: Palazzo dei Principi, the most important building of the city, symbol of the age of the lordship Da Correggio, completed in 1508, it was the headquarters of the family until to its decline. In the centre the marble gate of Istria is opened, one of the most significant of the emilian renaissance, that from colonnaded cloister that in antiquity led to the garden. It is today headquarters of the Istituti Culturali della Città: Biblioteca Comunale (library) and the Museo Civico (civic museum), skilfully restored, and rich in valuable works.


In the immediate area is also the Communal Theatre that existed already in the second half of the 1600s. In its interiors are still preserved its 1400s walls with fresco of the same age, completely restored very recently. A careful and admiring eye will be able to also enjoy other countless monuments and corners of the pleasant city, guided by the welcoming atmosphere that is between the villages…Some hints amongst the many: Jewish Cemetery, testimony to one of the oldest Jewish communities in the province; Church of San Francesco, from the end of the 1300s, the oldest of the city where the painter Antonio Allegri is buried; Church of the Madonna della Rosa, anciently reserved as a cemetery, the facade on the triangular fronton carries the coat of arms of the city a white belt on a red field, from an old legend of Da Correggio…and more properly from the Correggio term.

E-mail

Subscrive to our newsletter to recieve all our special offers